Home About Shop News Support

Monday, April 18, 2016

Rain Room at LACMA


I had to wait about a few months to go into the Rain Room at the Los Angeles Museum of Art. According to LACMA's website, "Random International’s Rain Room (2012) is an immersive environment of perpetually falling water that pauses wherever a human body is detected. The installation offers visitors an opportunity to experience what is seemingly impossible: the ability to control rain. Rain Room presents a respite from everyday life and an opportunity for sensory reflection within a responsive relationship.
Founded in 2005, Random International is a collaborative studio for experimental practice. They use science and technology to create experiences that aim to question and challenge the human experience within a machine-led world, engaging viewers through explorations of behavior and natural phenomena. In the decade following the studio's inception, the focus of Random International’s artistic practice has continuously evolved and today encompasses sculpture, performance, and installation on an architectural scale."

It was a very interesting experience. I'd prefer if I had known that people need to walk extremely slow, bright clothing is preferable for the system to "see" you. Also, as a short person it is also hard for the system to find me and keep rain from landing on my head. It was a great experience, though it felt like I was in a "selfie booth" with everyone taking photos of themselves, myself included. Happily, my admission also included the Frank Gehry exhibition, which I'll write about soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment